I recently got engaged, WAHOO!! While we don't need a certificate to prove what we have, it's so nice to get things formalised ready for our expanding family (not pregnant yet, but trying!).
I knew the minute I'd met him that he was the one, things have moved quickly and in the space of 21 months we are living together, engaged, trying for a baby and business partners. I guess the benefits of finding my future husband so late in the day (I'm 41) is a positive as being single for 5 years has been a massive self development journey that I needed to do on my own.
Some things I've learned:
- It's not ok to put everyone first, even if it is your family.
- Your number one should be you - it's the one thing you can control and the best way you can. Putting your happiness into the hands of others will only lead to disappointment as they can't always be there for you.
- Find someone that 'complements' you not 'completes' you.
- Trust your instincts. Don't wish for things not there.
- Admit when you've made a mistake / been out of line. Vulnerability and honesty brings you closer together.
- Everything that's in your life is your doing - it's no-one else's fault.
- Be nice to each other, appreciate them and never take them for granted.
- Know that the person you've attracted and how things turn out is totally your doing - like attracts like. It's so nice to know that we are in total control of what happens to us - it's no ones job to make you happy!
I feel so blessed to have met someone when I'm in this mindset - he's totally together to and we make a great team!
I've already lost the temporary engagement ring OMG! At least I have this pic as a reminder. Must ensure the real one fits properly LOL.